Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Caldo verde - one of my favorite soup.. which is naturally gf.


Caldo verde is an amazing soup, gluten free, a family favorite AND it is healthy. It is pretty easy and is cooked in less than 1/2 h. What else would you want?
it is supposed to be a Portuguese soup, but I never found it in my Portuguese cookbook, so I am doubtful.

ingredients:
*some form of sausage. I use kielbasa
* red potatoes ( 4-5)
* chicken broth (I also use my home made thxgiving stock)
* a bunch of kale.

-In a big soup pot, put your chicken broth, your red potatoes cut in small equal pieces. The fact that they are red is actually important, as they won't dissolve in the broth.
-cook until the potatoes are tender.
-mash them with a potato masher. This is not an exact science, you just don't want any more pieces.
- add the kielbasa cut in bite size pieces.
- bring back to a boil.

Meanwhile, wash and dry your kale.
For each kale leave,

  • first run a sharp knife to each side of the stalk,
  • then bunch it up and cut in very small ribbons
Add the kale about 5 minutes before you eat the soup.

You can add some crackers in the soup if you want but i personally like it without anything in it.
So far, I have not met anyone who disliked it, and that includes kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment